This week our contractors will begin the quality assurance testing phase of the Merrick Reinforcement Project. Our crews will be working full time to complete required testing. Testing activity will take place on Babylon Turnpike and on Seneca Place. While this work is ongoing, you may notice noise generated from the associated equipment. Additionally, our crews will be installing valves on Commonwealth Avenue, Oakwood Avenue, and Seneca Place.
Traffic around the work zones will be directed by flaggers as needed. Drivers traveling past the work zones should expect delays and plan accordingly. We ask drivers and pedestrians to remain alert and abide by all traffic control devices when traveling near the work zones.
There is no street parking permitted within the work zones during work hours. Equipment and material storage will temporarily reduce street parking availability on Babylon Turnpike, Seneca Place, Commonwealth Avenue, and Hewlett Avenue.
The outreach team is continuing to canvass residences and businesses along the project route to share information about our work.
*Over the next week, neighbors can expect to see:
- Work on Babylon Turnpike between Smith Street and Commonwealth Avenue.
- Work on Seneca Place between Seneca Drive North and Smith Street.
- Valve installation on Commonwealth Avenue, Oakwood Avenue, and Seneca Place.
Traffic management updates:
- Work on Babylon Turnpike will require full time closure (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) of the westmost southbound lane for all traffic at the intersection of Smith Street and Babylon Turnpike.
- Work on Seneca Place will require temporary road closures for all traffic during daytime work hours (Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 9:00pm, Saturdays 8:00am – 4:00pm, and Sundays, 10:00am – 4:00pm) between Seneca Drive North and Smith Street in both directions.
- Quality assurance testing will require active work for seven days a week over the next two weeks. While this work is taking place, you may notice noise generated from the associated equipment. Out of concern for residents, we have adjusted our scheduled in an attempt to have quieter activities take place on weekends.
- Work on Commonwealth Avenue will require temporary road closures for all traffic during daytime work hours (Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 9:00pm) between Babylon Turnpike and Madison Street in both directions.
- Work on Oakwood Avenue will require temporary road closures for all traffic during daytime work hours (Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 9:00pm) between Brooklyn Avenue and Merrick Avenue in both directions.
Private residences located adjacent to the work zone will have driveway access for vehicles facilitated by the construction crew as needed. Residents will have full pedestrian access at all times.
If you have any questions about our current or upcoming work, please feel free to reach out by emailing us at Merrick@
*Please note, due to the complexities of outdoor construction, schedule is subject to change.