Due to unforeseen delays, our contractors will begin final restoration of the roadway on Tuesday, October 29. Contractors will work to mill and pave as much of the project route as possible prior to the Halloween holiday.
Again, we greatly appreciate your patience and cooperation during this important infrastructure project. As a friendly reminder, we ask for your cooperation and adherence to posted traffic and “no parking” signage so that the repaving operation can be completed as quickly as possible.
As previously mentioned, restoration will take place on all Town of Hempstead roadway areas that were excavated as a part of the Merrick Reinforcement Project. More specifically, we will be repaving the roadway along the project route on Seneca Drive North, Seneca Drive West, Seneca Gate, Hewlett Avenue, Benson Lane, Merrick Avenue, Oakwood Avenue, Brooklyn Avenue, and Commonwealth Avenue.
Traffic around the work zones will be directed by flaggers as needed. Drivers traveling past the work zones should expect delays and plan accordingly. We ask drivers and pedestrians to remain alert and abide by all traffic control devices when traveling near the work zones.
As a friendly reminder there is no street parking permitted within the work zones during work hours. Equipment and material storage will temporarily reduce street parking availability on Seneca Place, Commonwealth Avenue, and Hewlett Avenue.
As always, the outreach team is continuing to canvass residences and businesses along the project route to share information about our work.
*Over the next week, neighbors can expect to see:
- Repaving and restoration of the roadway along the project route on Seneca Drive North, Seneca Drive West, Seneca Gate, Hewlett Avenue, Benson Lane, Merrick Avenue, Oakwood Avenue, Brooklyn Avenue, and Commonwealth Avenue.
- Work on Babylon Turnpike between Commonwealth Avenue and Smith Street.
- Work on Seneca Place between Seneca Drive North and Smith Street.
Traffic management updates:
- Work on Babylon Turnpike will require temporary road closures for all traffic during daytime work hours (Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 4:00pm) between Smith Street and Commonwealth Avenue in both directions.
- Final restoration of the roadway will require temporary road closures for all traffic during daytime work hours (Tuesday – Wednesday, 6:00am – 6:00pm) as our crews repave along the project route. The following streets will be closed for restoration:
- Seneca Drive North, between Seneca Place and Seneca Drive West.
- Seneca Drive West, between Seneca Drive North and Seneca Gate.
- Seneca Gate, between Seneca Drive West and Hewlett Avenue.
- Hewlett Avenue, between Seneca Gate and Benson Lane.
- Benson Lane, between Hewlett Avenue and Merrick Avenue.
- Merrick Avenue, between Benson Lane and Oakwood Avenue.
- Oakwood Avenue, between Merrick Avenue and Brooklyn Avenue.
- Brooklyn Avenue, between Oakwood Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue.
- Commonwealth Avenue. between Brooklyn Avenue and Babylon Turnpike.
Private residences located adjacent to the work zone will have driveway access for vehicles facilitated by the construction crew as needed. Residents will have full pedestrian access at all times.
If you have any questions about our current or upcoming work, please feel free to reach out by emailing us at Merrick@
*Please note, due to the complexities of outdoor construction, schedule is subject to change.